You don’t have to be vegetarian or vegan to enjoy this dish! Cooked right, tofu is delicious and has an amazing range of health benefits, including being an excellent source of amino acids, calcium, iron, and other nutrients.
Stir Fry with Coconut Rice & Fried Tofu
Tip: If you’re short on time, use pre-marinaded tofu (available in most supermarkets).
- Prep time: 3 hours (or 1 hour if using pre-marinaded tofu)
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 packet (500g) of tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions (finely chopped)
- 1/4 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 200g white button mushrooms (finely sliced)
- 1 zucchini (finely sliced)
- 1/2 pack (125g) snow peas (topped and tailed to remove stringy bits)
- 1/2 bunch celery (finely sliced)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 pack (125g) sprouts
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 can (400g) coconut cream
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 bunch coriander (a.k.a. cilantro)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (freshly grated or minced)
- Drain tofu and carefully slice in half lengthways (so that tofu is approximately 1 cm or half an inch thick). Sandwich tofu between several layers of paper towel. Weigh down with a heavy object (e.g. a frying pan) for at least an hour to absorb remaining moisture.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and add tofu to the bowl. Marinade for at least 2 hours (flipping the tofu halfway through marinading to ensure full flavour). Tip: You don’t have to marinade for the full 2 hours but the longer you do, the more flavoursome your tofu will be.
- Drain the tofu but keep the marinade sauce. Again, sandwich tofu between several layers of paper towel and weigh down with a heavy object whilst you prepare the stir fry and rice.
- Add olive oil to a wok with brown and red onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the leftover marinade sauce. Stir in the snow peas, celery, corn and peas, and cook for 5 minutes or until snow peas are tender. Add sprouts and turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, place rice and coconut cream in a non-stick saucepan and bring to a simmer, uncovered. Stir regularly to prevent rice sticking to the pan. Continue simmering on low-medium heat until coconut cream has been absorbed by the rice. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Slice the tofu into bite sized pieces. Lightly coat pieces in corn starch. Add the tofu to a hot, dry, non-stick pan (no oil) and cook, shaking pan regularly over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until tofu is golden and crispy.
- Serving: Divide rice, stir fry and tofu among bowls. Sprinkle sesame seeds over tofu. Season with salt and pepper and add coriander to garnish.