Who said chocolate mousse couldn’t be healthy? This recipe is fantastic, especially if you’re on a health kick, dairy-free diet, or just want to try something a bit different. It’s quick and takes only 5 minutes to make.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes (plus 30 minutes to refrigerate)
- Cooking time: 0
- Total time: 5 minutes (plus 30 minutes to refrigerate)
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1/2 (200ml) can coconut cream
- 3 ripe medium avocados
- 1/4 cup powdered baking cocoa
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup (or 6-8 fresh pitted dates)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Berries and (soy) ice cream to serve (optional)
- If your avocados are rock solid, try leaving them with some bananas. This will ripen them quickly and takes about a day.
- For a thicker mousse, use only 1/3 can coconut cream.
- If you want an alternative to maple syrup, try using 6-8 fresh pitted dates instead. For a smooth texture, blend dates with coconut cream first before adding other ingredients. Dates add a natural caramel flavour to the recipe.
- Add all ingredients, coconut cream first, to a blender (or small food processor). Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste test. Add anything extra to taste (e.g. maple syrup, vanilla essence or cocoa).
- Serving: Divide mousse between 4 cups and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve with berries and ice cream.