Making your own hair treatments is so easy. It’s also great to know what’s in the products you’re using.
It takes a total of only 5 minutes to make the shampoo, hair treatment and conditioner. Check out our shampoo recipe here.
The conditioner/hair mask is great for weekly use.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (less if you have naturally oily hair)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 2 tablespoons of oats (optional)
- Vitamise all ingredients. Use less or more oats to thicken your hair mask to desired texture. If you don’t have a Vitamix or similar blender, combine all the ingredients except the oats by shaking until dissolved, using only a quarter to half a cup of water which will keep the mask thick.
- Optional: Strain the mixture using cheesecloth or a piece of clean, plain cotton. This step isn’t necessary if you have a good quality blender. You may wish to substitute vanilla essence for a few drops of good quality essential oil. Be careful when using essential oils as some may not be suitable for external application onto skin.
- Use: I used half a cup and left it in my hair for 10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly and then applying the rinse.
A rinse is important after shampooing and/or hair mask treatment so that your hair is returned to its normal pH level.
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- A couple of drops of essential oil (optional)
- Vitamise all ingredients. No blender? Simply combine all the ingredients by stirring or shaking. Again, be careful if using essential oils as some may not be suitable for external application onto skin.
- Use: The above ratios are for single use.
- Tip: Keep the vinegar (and a couple of drops of essential oil) in a bottle and only add warm water right before use – this will avoid the shock of cold water on your head (although you might find the cold water invigorating!).